Public Notice - Reopening of Thursday Island Gym and Fitness Centre
Torres Shire Council is pleased to announce the reopening of the Thursday Island Gymnasium from Tuesday, 9 June 2020. Council is committed to its responsibility to ensure any public facilities that might open for public access can be operated whilst ensuring public safety can be maintained.
To this effect, a summary of the restriction for use of the Thursday Island Gym, Fitness Room and Swimming Pool is listed below:
- Pre-confirmed bookings are required for any use for the swimming pool or gym. Phone Thursday Island Sports Complex on 0429 691 336. Please note that booking can only be made between:
- Monday to Friday: 6am – 6pm
- Saturday to Sunday: 12pm – 6pm
- You will only be able to book 48 hours in advance.
- Limited to a maximum of 20 users at any one time across both gym and fitness rooms.
- One user per machine at any one time – wiping down machines and equipment after each use is essential.
- Communal showers and change rooms will remain closed. Toilets may remain open.
- Practice hand hygiene as frequently as possible as well as maintaining social distancing.
- Users are to shower with soap at home before and after attending the pool.
- Session times will be for an hour and start on the hour.
- The complex opening hours remain unchanged.
- Persons with COVID-19 or flu-like symptoms are not allowed into the complex.
- Persons entering the region will only be allowed into the complex after being in the region for a period of 2 continued weeks.
We will continue to monitor the situation and make operational changes as needed.
Council would like to thank our community for taking the COVID-19 situation seriously. We ask everyone to continue to act responsibly and follow State and Commonwealth Government directions to help minimise the potential spread of COVID-19 into our vulnerable community.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER