Adopt a Torres Shire Beach, Park or Road Program
Torres Shire Council seeks registrations of interest from local organizations/person to participate in this program which would encourage them to be responsible for local Shire beaches, parks or roads as outlined.
These programs are conducted in many other Council’s throughout Australia. The main aim is that local organizations/persons adopt a community Beach, Park or Road and maintain them in a clean, attractive and safe for everyone in our community to enjoy.
Main responsibilities can involve the following:
- Keeping an eye on the area,
- Reporting vandalism, picking up litter (if appropriate),
- Making recommendations to Council to improve the area, e.g. play equipment, tree planting, etc.,
- Enjoying the beach, park or road area, organise a Working Bee with others, etc.
Local Shire properties that could be adopted under this program are:
- HI Airport Road, Ngurupai Sports Complex surrounds and HI Beach & Carpark
- Bach, Bayo, Federal, Mairu and Sadies beaches
- ANZAC Park, Ken Brown Oval, Cook & Waiben Esplanades
- TI Cemetery,
- Victoria Parade Foreshore
Let’s keep our beautiful islands in a neat, tidy and safe condition.